May 8, 2008

Manifestation Exercise # 3 - Give The Universe Its Own Task List

The following is an exercise that I have learned from Abraham-Hicks. They refer to is as the Placemat Exercise. However, because I do my tasks list on my computer or in a notebook I started mentally calling it the Universe Task List and the name stuck with me.

In case you have never heard of Abraham-Hicks, Esther Hicks is a medium who has long acted as a channel for a nonphysical group of beings known as Abraham. While I know some of you may shy away from the word channel or medium, some of the inspiration they provide regarding using the Law of Attraction is the most enlightening I have ever come across, so I think it would be well worth your time to check them out.

In this case I believe the story goes that Esther Hicks was sitting in a diner one day with her husband talking about how overwhelmed she felt over all the tasks that she had to accomplish within the upcoming days. She received a message from Abraham to turn over the placemat that was sitting in front of her and draw a line down the middle of the paper and a line across the top so it resembled the letter t. She was to write Me on the left side and Universe on the right side.

Then on the left side of the paper she was to write down all of the things that she was inspired to accomplish that day. The ones she was ready and willing to take action on immediately. The tasks that felt right and clear to her.

On the right side of the paper she was to write down all of the things she wanted Universe to take care of for her. Things she wasn't exactly clear on, felt any kind of resistance to doing, or items she hadn't even figured how to start accomplishing yet.

The point of this exercise is to 1. Get yourself clear on exactly what it is you are wanting and 2. Allowing and knowing that it is going to happen.

For example, a hypothetical Universe Task List I would use for myself would be:

ME:

1.Write at least 2 fun articles today.

2. Meditate for 20 minutes.

3. Do my yoga.

4. Have lunch with my best friend

5. Respond to some of the emails I have received

6. Update my website with some new articles from other authors

All of the items above are tasks I feel good and inspired about accomplishing. I am happy and enthusiastic about doing them.

Now on the left side I write what I would like Universe to take care of. Items I am not "in the mood for" or "ready to deal with yet" such as:

UNIVERSE:

1. Find me an easy and pain free way to come up with the money to pay the car insurance next month

2. Send me inspiration to help me get clear on the information I want to include in my new ebook

3. Find me an easy and pain free way to get out of a social obligation I'd rather not attend (in your case be specific on what that engagement is)

4. Find the right person who will be able to fix the bug on my computer

5. Find me a simple solution to getting the garage cleaned out

It does not matter how many things you give the Universe (or your higher self, if you prefer) to do. Just know that you are not alone here. What you ask for you will receive.

So as you write out what you want Universe to accomplish, act and feel as if it is without a doubt, going to be taken care of. Feel as if you just handed this list to the most reliable Manager you have ever met and that you are so confident that these things are going to be done, that you do not even have to give them a second thought.

You will be thrilled and amazed at how this works!


For instance, let's go back to the example of the list I would give Universe to take care of.

1. Money for the car insurance. How would Universe handle it? Maybe my mother wins money in Atlantic City and she decides to share some with me and I also receive an unexpected check in the mail. Between the two of them - they more than cover the premium.

2. The inspiration for my new ebook. Universe urges me to make an unplanned stop at the library where I find a new book that just came in and I find it is exactly the subject I feel inspired to write about.

3. The engagement I didn't want to attend. The people I was supposed to meet with call me and tell me something else came up and apologize because we will have to do it another time. No hurt feelings on either side.

4. My computer problem. I find out the guy who runs my yoga class also fixes computers on the side and charges less than half what a professional would. I find this out by simply chatting with the person next to me while doing my fun task of taking the yoga class in the first place.

5. My garage getting cleaned out. My niece has just gotten into selling on Ebay and offers to clean out my garage if she can sell and keep the profit on the items I know longer want to keep.

I can't tell you the thrill-chills you will get as you watch Universe work out these kind of "miracles" without any effort on your part.

Now there is one last step to this exercise. As Universe goes about its business and accomplishes each of these tasks for you, it is important that you acknowledge it, be grateful for it and encourage more.

Anytime the Universe easily handles one of my tasks and I have clapped my hands together gleefully (and yes, there have been many times I have literally clapped my hands together gleefully) I always follow up with a "Thank You Universe and more of that please!"

It helps you to take notice of "who" is responsible for helping you out and reinforces the belief that you really can depend on it for the future. Plus when you say "more of that please" and you start knowing it is really coming, you get more excited about handing over the next task and watching with wonder to see how Universe will work it out.

I'll be honest, while I used to write out this list almost everyday, I now find myself doing it more often mentally. Now if something comes up that I don't feel like dealing with, I'll immediately throw it in Universe's court. For instance, if the boss says I have to work late tonight I give an immediate mental "Yuck! Universe I'll let you handle this one. I want to go home happily on time tonight." Then I forget about it and watch as the Universe does its stuff and reminds the boss that his child has a recital tonight and we can't work late after all.

But if you are just starting with this exercise, I would definitely do the physical list. It will give you a great feeling of relief as you write down the tough things you want "your manager" to deal with, so you can stay focused on the things that you are inspired to do today.

Happy Creating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi my name is michael i started reading about the law of attraction some years back but stop after some changes your articles are very helpful i also want know could have your permission to use some of your material on my websites and blogs lol michael

Maxx @ Law of Attraction Advocate said...

Wow thank you for this post! Very detailed.

Gratitude Journal said...

Excellent article on the
Law of Attraction. I am very happy to read. Thanks for providing great information. Thanks.